Sask Gridiron
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sask Gridiron

An online forum to share thoughts and ideas on 9-man football in Saskatchewan.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New conference

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ftball

New conference Empty
PostSubject: New conference   New conference Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:15 am

I would like to get some discussion going to see what other 9-man teams want out of the new conference. I know that travel is the main issue but here is a suggestion to consider.

NorthWest: Div 1- Warman, Martensville, Clavet
Div 2- Unity, JPII, Meadow Lake
NorthEast: Div 1- Melfort, Nipawin, Tisdale
Div 2- Foam Lake Humboldt, Wynyard
SouthWest: Div 1- Assiniboa, Lumsden, Shaunavon
Div 2- Kindersley, Delisle, Maple Creek
SouthEast: Div 1- Fort Quapelle, Melville, Esterhazy
Div 2- Swan River, Sacred Heart, Kamsack

This is all the teams with the addition of JPII and Clavet (which I have heard is confirmed but that is only hear say). I would have a Home and Home within the division and one game against the other division.(Keeping travel in mind) This would be a seven game schedule and one year you would travel twice to the other division and host twice the next year. This will balance the conferences and try to accomodate some travel issues. For Playoffs I would have:
1st Div 1 host 2nd Div 2
1st Div 2 host 2nd Div 1
(1st seed determined by regular season games)

This type of arrangement will make it consistent throughout the province as all divisions will have the same amount of teams and games with the schedule being exactly the same. I know that it will be tough to convince all the teams that have been moved but I think that the teams should discuss this and make a suggestion to SHSAA. If not then keep it the way it is and the SouthEast will only have 3 teams....remember someone has to move if we want to balance out the conferences. Just my thoughts and would love to see all teams weigh in and discuss this.
Back to top Go down
ftblnth

New conference Empty
PostSubject: schedule works well   New conference Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:48 am

Just a quick response from my end. I am a parent of a player in the the Northwest and have had some discussion with the coaches from my son's team. I know they hate the unbalances conferences and feel it is totally unfair that 2 team from the southwest get to go on to provincials when there are only three teams in the conference. As far as the travel issue, I know all teams have some short trips and long trips and that seems to be the nature of travel for rural programs in our province. Unfortunately we aren't all located close to Saskatoon and Regina. For example we have to travel all the way up to Meadow Lake every second year. In the Northwest we follow the 2 division model that was suggested in this thread and it seems to work really well. We have no bye-week and the kids get to play the right amount of games (not too much and not too little). I know not everyone will be happy when conference realignment comes out, but this seems to be a pretty good arrangement. I think someone should forward this to shsaa so they can make a decision and next year's schedules can get drawn up soon.

Back to top Go down
DDT

New conference Empty
PostSubject: Re: New conference   New conference Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Maybe you should have 8 conferences of three and follow the same schedule the SouthWest did last season if all are concerned about travel. This would get 16 qualifiers for provincials and I am sure there will be no issues with travel. If you don't want to balance out the conferences, lets just make more. LOL
Back to top Go down
DunvilleL

New conference Empty
PostSubject: Re: New conference   New conference Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Wynyard is confirmed 6 man. Indian Head is confirmed 9 man. If JPII is North Battleford, they were not confirmed as of yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Ftball

New conference Empty
PostSubject: Re: New conference   New conference Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 2:19 pm

I guess we need to get some confirmation from North Battleford and Clavet to make some changes. Thanks DunnvilleL for the update on teams. DDT I am not sure if you read my post correctly as there will still be 4 conferences but split into two divisions. Not 8 conferences. Here is some changes to my original conferences as Wynyard has moved down and Indian Head is joining.

NorthWest- Div1-Kindersley, Delilse, Martensville/Warman
Div 2- Meadow Lake, North Battleford, Unity

NorthEast- Div1- Melfort, Tisdale, Nipawin
Div 2- Humboldt, Clavet, Warman/Martensville

SouthEast- Div1- Swan River, Kamsack, Sacred Heart
Div 2- Melville, Foam Lake, Esterhazy

South West Div 1- Assiniboia, Shaunavon, Maple Creek
Div 2- Lumsden, Indian Head, Fort Quapelle.

Lots of options and changes but with Wynyard out and a few new teams, 24 teams would work out great for the conference. I know that North Battleford asked the NorthWest Conference to participate next season in their league. Anyone know of what Clavet is doing???? I guess this would help in making new conferences. Geographically this I think this is the best groupings. Keep the opinions coming.....this will help see if teams are interested in balancing out the conference and give their insight.
Back to top Go down
Coach Klein

New conference Empty
PostSubject: Re: New conference   New conference Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Confirming what Luke has stated, the Indian Head Broncs will be fielding a team this fall.
Back to top Go down
paytime

New conference Empty
PostSubject: Re: New conference   New conference Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:14 pm

It is true that North Battleford has inquire to participate in the NorthWest Conference next season. Not sure if they have confirmed with SHSAA and probably not as Luke has stated. From Meadow Lake's stand, our travel will not be affected by changing teams but with North Battleford joining, it does help out a bit. These conferences do make sense but I am not a team that will be moving to another conference. Some changes will have to made as the NorthWest would now have 7 teams with North Battleford and the SouthEast will have 8 teams with Indian Head. The SouthWest will only have three and the NorthEast will only have 5 with them losing Wynyard. Dare I bring into the mix.....keep the conferences as they are and maybe three representatives from leagues with 7 and 8 teams and only one from the leagues with only 3 and 5 teams. I can't wait to hear what other teams think and want for next season.
Back to top Go down
Wilson

New conference Empty
PostSubject: Re: New conference   New conference Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 6:13 pm

With Indian Head moving into the South East there does have to be something done with the conferences. There can be no way that one conference can have 8 teams and another only have 3. Moving a whole block of teams makes more sense as it will cut down on travel time and the leagues that have been suggested do not look to bad.
Back to top Go down
ruetzb

New conference Empty
PostSubject: I Like It   New conference Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 7:48 pm

I like the discussion. I as most coaches, agree that a change is probably needed. With the leagues gaining and losing teams, this is likely a good time to make some changes. Which is best? Who knows, I like the proposed alignment below. The travel seems quite reasonable and the entries into provincials would be quite balanced. All this being said, any of these changes have to be made at the SHSAA AGM. If you want any of these changes to take place, take it to your districts spring meeting and ask them to submit it as a resolution. Do not rely on others to make changes for you. Get their and do something about it. And get to the AGM and plead your case. Any of you who are coming to the coaches clinic. This will be a topic of discussion at the nine man session.

Ftball wrote:
I guess we need to get some confirmation from North Battleford and Clavet to make some changes. Thanks DunnvilleL for the update on teams. DDT I am not sure if you read my post correctly as there will still be 4 conferences but split into two divisions. Not 8 conferences. Here is some changes to my original conferences as Wynyard has moved down and Indian Head is joining.

NorthWest- Div1-Kindersley, Delilse, Martensville/Warman
Div 2- Meadow Lake, North Battleford, Unity

NorthEast- Div1- Melfort, Tisdale, Nipawin
Div 2- Humboldt, Clavet, Warman/Martensville

SouthEast- Div1- Swan River, Kamsack, Sacred Heart
Div 2- Melville, Foam Lake, Esterhazy

South West Div 1- Assiniboia, Shaunavon, Maple Creek
Div 2- Lumsden, Indian Head, Fort Quapelle.

Lots of options and changes but with Wynyard out and a few new teams, 24 teams would work out great for the conference. I know that North Battleford asked the NorthWest Conference to participate next season in their league. Anyone know of what Clavet is doing???? I guess this would help in making new conferences. Geographically this I think this is the best groupings. Keep the opinions coming.....this will help see if teams are interested in balancing out the conference and give their insight.
Back to top Go down
DDT

New conference Empty
PostSubject: Re: New conference   New conference Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 11:51 am

These conferences look reasonable. Foam Lake and Fort both responded with positives and these are two teams that are moving to different conferences. Bill is right as we need to put this in for a resolution. The only question I have is what to do with the Martensville/Warman as we put this into our SHSAA rep....or leave it as this and let SHSAA decide or that league's commish. This will hopefully be a good discussion at the coaches clinic and thanks Ftball for getting the ball rolling on this topic.....I did not did not understand when I first read your post.
Back to top Go down
Wilson

New conference Empty
PostSubject: Re: New conference   New conference Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 9:43 am

I would not say positive is the correct term, more resigned to the fact that changing our current conference makes the most sense as it will have 8 teams next season.

Also moving three from the SouthEast will make 2 conferences of 5 and 2 of 6 (given current teams that are confirmed for next season) which is about as fair as we can hope for. I do think though that something has to be done before the AGM though as people will want to get their leagues organized before the end of June (scheduling and such). Maybe a gentle letter to the SHSAA will get something done sooner, as they are in a little bit of lull now with Hoopla over and only Badminton and Track left to run.
Back to top Go down
ftblfn

New conference Empty
PostSubject: opinions   New conference Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:28 am

Hey All

Just a quick question. Want to know what everyone thinks of the new SHSAA conferences. I thought they seem pretty logical. Finally the SHSAA has got their act together. Is there anyone who isn't happy where they got placed? Let me know!!!
Back to top Go down
Garth A

New conference Empty
PostSubject: Re: New conference   New conference Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Foam Lake heading back East. Looking forward to our old rivialries. As good as it can be. Some issues still pending, but we can start with league meetings and make up some schedules.
Back to top Go down
fan

New conference Empty
PostSubject: great to see   New conference Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 10:46 am

Awesome to see 9 man and football in general growing in Sask. I truly think this is because of the great coaches and programs already existing. The 8 years that i have volunteered to coach we have seen growth in promotion, philosophy and dedication to this sport. Everybody keep doing a great job and lets keep pushing each other as the kids benefit the most.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New conference Empty
PostSubject: Re: New conference   New conference Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New conference
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sask Gridiron :: General-
Jump to: