Sask Gridiron
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sask Gridiron

An online forum to share thoughts and ideas on 9-man football in Saskatchewan.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Provincial Final

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
football

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: Provincial Final   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 5:27 pm

There is only one game left to play. Who wins the game?
I think Humboldt wins with a score relatively similar to the score in Lumsden this weekend?

Coach Dunville is the only man in the province to coach against both Humboldt and Delisle, I would like to have his opinion on this game.
Back to top Go down
ftblfan

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: hate to say I told you so.....but   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 11:57 am

I knew Humboldt and Lumsden would be a close game but like I said the Southeast is a weak conference and that came back to haunt Lumsden (hard to stay sharp when you are so much better than everyone else). I like Humboldt to win the final game for the same reason (Delisle hasn't been tested yet either). The Northwest is fairly weak and they had an easy run to the final (except for maybe Foam Lake).
Back to top Go down
Ftball--

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Provincial Final   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 5:43 pm

I would agree that Humboldt should win the Provincial Final for one main reason. I had the opportunity to watch the Delisle vs. Sacred game. The score was 9-2 at half (Todas had it wrong) and the lone touchdown was nearly a pick 6 for Sacred. Delisle scored 7 pts in the 3rd quarter and the rest in the fourth (33-2 final). The main reason being the Saints offense was entirely dominated by the defensive schemes and speed of the Delisle defense. Giroux and Leibrecht were shut down. The Saints were 2 and out 90% of the time and the defense was completly gassed by the fourth quarter.

Now for the main reason why Humboldt will win the final. On an option play the Delisle quarterback felt the brunt of a clean and hard tackle by a Saints D-Lineman which took the starting QB out of game. The kid had his pads off and it looked like he was being treated for a shoulder seperation. I was in the bleachers and couldn't see everything. This makes the Delisle offense very one dimensional with only a short pass offense and a very good run offense with Vessey. The back up QB is alright but not in the same league as their starting QB. The receivers are talented and the playbook is deep for Delisle but it won't last the entire game vs. Humboldt.

I really like Delisle and they play well. Home field advantage will help them a lot. It should be a very interesting final especially if the Delisle starting QB is in the game and healthy. Reminder, foam lake came into Delisle and lost 49-21. Foam lake lost 12-6 to Humboldt early in the season however these two teams were identified and being very equal and very good. I like Humboldt, especially if the starting QB for Delisle is not playing.

Now, as far as saying that the south east is the "weakest" conference in 9-man is a very bad call. 2 of the 4 teams left standing were from the south east this year. The final two were in the final last year with the 2nd place team in the south east beating heavily favoured Humboldt at home in the semi final. I think each conference this year (with the exception of the south west) had a monster in it (Delilse, Lumsden, Humboldt). Moreover, I think the south east was deeper than any other conference. North east had Humboldt and Foam Lake. South East had Lumsden, Sacred, Melville, and to an extent, Fort Q. North West had Delisle and Meadow Lake/Martensville. I'm confident that if you had the conferences (i.e. north east vs south east) play off 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3, etc that the south east would not be the weakest conference. I think the thing that hurt Lumsden was seeing a similar south east type of offence day in and day out. Humboldt's execution, playbook, and balance was much different and strong.

I think the big thing missing this year is Foam Lake. Very talented and well coached. Should have had a better fate.
Back to top Go down
fballfan

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Provincial Final   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 1:00 am

I think Humboldt has this one. They showed they are for real by knocking off the defending champs. And limiting an offense with over 2400 yards to no offensive TDs. This defense is dominant. On the otherside of the ball. Trying to stop the speed around the corner did nt help Lumsden or Kindersly as they got beat up the middle, on top of that Humboldts QB has shown he can throw over the top. So how do you contain the edge plug the middle and defend the pass all at once? Cant be done, Delisle has a great team and some good players but Humboldt is going to show they are the class of the province this year.
Back to top Go down
ftblfan

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: still think the southeast is weak   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 10:23 am

I have to disagree Sacred is a weak team and so is Fort. Lumsden dominated them and lost to a Northeast team (Humboldt) that did not dominate their league like Lumsden did. This shows me that the Southeast is a weak league and the Northeast is once again the class of the province.
Back to top Go down
northlan

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: prediction   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 10:42 am

Regardless of all the smack this should be a great game. 2 great defences that can wear down teams are going to hit hard. This should be one of the great final games in recent memory. As for history Delisle scored alot of points vs Foam while Humboldt played close. The problem that you run into is that it is later on in the season and both teams are playing well. I think this will be a great game and I hope that we can see it live and also watch it in the archives like last years game. This game should be great for 9 man and making all teams work even harder to improve our game next year. And Darren you have done a great job to get more exposure for our game with the online and webcasting, thanks again.
Back to top Go down
rootine4

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Provincial Final   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 11:19 am

A little input on the Foam Lake/Humboldt game. It was Humboldt's first game of the season and very windy. This affected the passing game. Foam Lake's D is very well-coached, too, and they recognized it was too windy to throw to the WRs. Their CBs were basically in the box as run-stoppers. I am not saying Delisle or Lumsden's isn't well-coached btw (not a smack talker).
Back to top Go down
ftblfan

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: so sorry   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 11:52 am

I have to say I'm sorry because I am a "smack talker" I like to state my opinion and I wish other people would too. I think people are too sensitive. But I would rather have people say what they feel rather than beat around the bush. If you don't like it either do something to change my opinion or don't read my posts (by the way I always post under ftblfan). I can't help it that the southeast and the southwest are weak conference. All I can tell you is that the weak programs like Estehazy should do as Fort did. Fort has been weak in the past but at least they are getting better. A bunch of people in that conference whined about Lumsden being so good. I posted about it ealier (either get better or quit playing). Kindersley used to be weak too but at least they are doing something about it. I can respect a program that is taking steps to get better but if you are weak every year get out of football - you're just hurting the sport and your school!!!
Back to top Go down
ftblfan

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Provincial Final   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 3:22 pm

blah blah blah blah
Back to top Go down
Wilson

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Provincial Final   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Saying that Southeast is the weaker of the conferences, based on Saturday's results is wrong. All of the COnference leaders outside of Assinibioa/Maple Creek dominated their conferences. Humbolt scored 193 points more then they gave up and Delisle out scored the teams that they played by 281 points. Now none of these are any where near what Lumsden did in the Southeast, but they are still very dominating. All of the semi-finals were close (sounds like Delisle poured on the points in the 4th quarter, but it was close until then) so that really tells me that all of the teams were pretty evenly matched. Delisle only scored 3 more points against Sacred Heart then they did againt Foam Lake, and a 12 point game between Humbolt and Lumsden is by no means a blow out. Also only two conferences can make the provincial finals so is the one that does not make it automatically the weakest one? Does that mean that last year the Southeast was the most dominate conference because both teams in the finals were from that conference? I would say NO. Everyone in football knows the saying "On Any Given Sunday", or Saturday in our case.

Looking at the stats it seems to me that outside of the Southwest (very tough to tell with only 3 teams) that the conference were pretty evenly matched as a whole, comparing the Northwest to the Northeast to the Southeast as a whole. One team dominated and the middle teams played each other very tough and the teams at the bottom are trying to improve. Trying to make comparisons based on two games is impossible. IF there were some sort of crossover during the season, then maybe a person could make the call about the best conference.

All that being said. Good Luck both Delisle and Humbolt on the weekend
Back to top Go down
fan

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Provincial Final   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm just saying, I dont think anyone really cares about which conference is weaker or stronger RIGHT NOW because in reality there are two teams remaining. This could be a great topic of conversation after the season when reflecting on the season passed or looking forward but right now myself along with other people reading this would probably rather discuss and try to predict the out come of the final. So I ll take one step forward and say Humboldt by 7 points, in a fairly low scoring game dominated by defense but Humboldts 3 dimentional offense will too much and like someone said about the Lumsden game, Humboldt's stud is their Linebacker and he will get the best of Des Vessey this weekend.
Back to top Go down
fan

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Provincial Final   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 5:53 pm

So i have heard that the Delisle Quarterback seperated his shoulder
Back to top Go down
Darren Dupont
Admin
Darren Dupont

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Provincial Final   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 10:56 pm

I wouldn't be so worried about Delisle's QB situation... they're deep and talented. The coaches will talk about it on the broadcast during the pre-game show. I suggest you tune in on Saturday!
Back to top Go down
https://saskgridiron.forumotion.com
rootine4

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Provincial Final   Provincial Final Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Here's hoping for an injury free, well-officiated, well-coached and well-played game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Provincial Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Provincial Final   Provincial Final Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Provincial Final
Page 1 of 1