Sask Gridiron
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sask Gridiron

An online forum to share thoughts and ideas on 9-man football in Saskatchewan.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shaunavon @ Gull Lake

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
South West

Shaunavon @ Gull Lake Empty
PostSubject: Shaunavon @ Gull Lake   Shaunavon @ Gull Lake Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:31 am

Shaunavon 34 Gull Lake 14

Shaunavon came away with a hard fought 34-14 victory Thursday evening. The Shadows opened the scoring very quickly using 4 big plays to score on their opening drive. Gull Lake responded with a good drive that was stopped around the Shadows 20 yard line with on a thrid down gamble. After that teams trade punts. 7-0 1st quarter. Second quarter saw Shaunavon score two td's to Gull Lakes 1. Score at the half 21-6. The third quater was back and forth with both teams putting together some good drives and Shaunavon scoring the only TD. With the score now 28-6 Gull Lake started to put in some younger guys to get experience (mostly grade 9's, a lot of the grade 10's have to play b/c of limited #'s) while Shaunavon kept their starting offense in. It only took one play for Shaunavon to score on a 60+ yard run. Gull Lake showing some heart marched the ball down the field with an impressive drive and scored a last minute TD. Shaunavon did not look as strong as past games. Thier QB punched a Gull Lake Defensive End after a int. He took 3 penalties like that against Maple Creek. Gull Lake played hard with the limited numbers they have but Shaunavon was more fresh and does have some weapons on offense.
Back to top Go down
Darren Dupont
Admin
Darren Dupont

PostSubject: Re: Shaunavon @ Gull Lake   Shaunavon @ Gull Lake Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 6:25 pm

South West: Do you think Shaunavon is a contender? They aren't ranked very high on the Top 10. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
https://saskgridiron.forumotion.com
South West

PostSubject: Re: Shaunavon @ Gull Lake   Shaunavon @ Gull Lake Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Honestly, I think you have Shaunavon ranked in a good spot. Playing in a weaker league does inflate their stats a little. Nothing against Assiniboia, but they are young this year and there for are not that strong of competition. Shaunavon played their starts almost the entire game to get those scores. Gull Lake and Maple Creek gave them all they could handle. Shaun and MC were tied at 21 at the half before Shaun pulled away. Against GL one or thier td's was against grade 9's and 10's and GL fumbled at least twice inside the 5 yard line. I expect Shaun to maybe get by their first round in prov, but get spanked by I'm presumming Lumsden. Don't get me wrong, they do have some talent, especially on offense, but they are not a deep team and that could cause them trouble come playoff time.
Back to top Go down
Tanner Shadows

PostSubject: Re: Shaunavon @ Gull Lake   Shaunavon @ Gull Lake Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 3:04 pm

i dont know how u can say that GL was all the shadows could handle they beat them 76-14 in two games and they beat MC 59-35 in the two games they played them and two of the touch downs that MC's TD's were kick return when they had young guys on the kick off. and they also beat Assinaboia 127 - 0 in the season series so i dont know how u can say they were all they can handle.
Back to top Go down
South West

PostSubject: Re: Shaunavon @ Gull Lake   Shaunavon @ Gull Lake Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 3:47 pm

I say this because Shaunavon was expecting to walk all over Gull Lake again and they GL gave them a tough game. Shaunavon is a good team, don't get me wrong but campared to teams I've seen in the past ie Lumsden and Maple Creek last year, they are not as strong. Beating Assinibioa 127-0 in regular season is not something to be proud of. Assin hasn't had a team in a couple years and they were mostly grade 10 and 11 with maybe 2 grade 12's. Beating a team by 70 points and keeping starters in for most if not all of the games doesn't nothing but hurt your team for the future. Get some quality playing time for younger guys so they have a chance to experience what a game feels like before they are thrown in. I hope Shaunavon and Maple Creek do well in provincials b/c it will give the SWAC conference some respect. Only having 4 teams hurts teams like Shaunavon and Maple Creek.
Back to top Go down
Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Shaunavon @ Gull Lake   Shaunavon @ Gull Lake Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 11:13 am

I find it interesting that it is considered a "tough game" for Shaunavon, when they still managed to win by 20 points. Yes, they managed to score 14 points on a defense that had 2-3 starters in at a time for all of the second half, but the game was nowhere near close. The only reason that the starting offense was left in was because in the past, Shaunavon has had issues with injuries being caused by players that are not quite prepared for real game scenarios endangering the well being of some of the starters. Also, the calls against the Shaunavon Quarterback, were for the most part, sketchy to say the least. The Shaunavon Quarterback did not punch anyone on Gull Lake's team. Against Maple Creek, the Shaunavon quarterback did deserve the first call against him, however the second two calls were both terrible. One was for celebrating with his teammates on a good play, which had been done many times throughout the the game by both teams. You also have to take into consideration. I also find it rather amusing that you say that Shaunavon "was more fresh," yet earlier in your post you said that "Gull Lake started to put in some younger guys to get experience while Shaunavon kept their starting offense in." This seams to be rather contradicting information. Please learn the difference between beating a team by 20 points on the road and a team that "gave them all they could handle."
Back to top Go down
South West

PostSubject: Re: Shaunavon @ Gull Lake   Shaunavon @ Gull Lake Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:59 pm

For those of you getting all worked up over these write-ups, I do them mostly to provide information for other people. Terrible calls or not the ref stilled called them pentalies. I say Shaunavon was more fresh b/c they are able to play different people on both sides of the ball where as GL plays roughly 5 guys both ways therefore making them "less fresh" near the end of games. Again these write-ups are for FUN. And I do believe that GL played Shaunavon tough, but in no means I am taking anything away from the Shadows. I wish them the best of luck in playoffs and hope they represent SWAC well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaunavon @ Gull Lake   Shaunavon @ Gull Lake Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shaunavon @ Gull Lake
Page 1 of 1